The Story of Alumiar Elísio
At Alumiar Elísio we believe that everyone can learn translation. We are heavily passionate about teaching translation and our mission is to help people learn and become better translators.
Here you will be able to improve your translation skills. It doesn’t matter if you are passionate about languages, a translation student or a professional translator.
Our content focuses on several translation aspects, as well as other relevant expertise fields for translators, such as terminology, proofreading, linguistics, among others.
Thus, Alumiar Elísio aims to simplify and enhance the training process of translators, as well as underlie skills and knowledge previously acquired.
Founding & Purpose
Alumiar Elísio was created and conceived by Micael and Mónica a few months after we finished our Translation degree at University of Aveiro, Portugal.
But ultimately, what prompted the creation of Alumiar Elísio? Which ideals sparked the desire to create Alumiar Elísio? We can sum them up in six simple aspects:
- Create and share relevant content about translation, both for beginners and professional translators.
- Have a didactic and proactive project while we are attending our Master in Specialised Translation.
- Make translation more accessible and easier to learn with different types of content and resources.
- Create a friendly community of translators who are ready to help each other whenever they can.
- Emphasize the importance of the translator and their work in today’s society.
- Reinforce the value of translations done by competent professionals, with the right set of skills and knowledge.
Concept & Logo
Initially, Alumiar Elísio began with us sharing translation content in Portuguese. However, our ambition is to reach and help as many people as possible.
After a long brainstorming, we agreed that “Alumiar Elísio” was the name that matched the soul of our project better.
“Alumiar Elísio” represents not what we do as translators, but our ideals and how we want our project to be perceived.
Alumiar – guide; accompany or follow with light.
Elísio – in classical mythology, the dwelling place of virtuous people and heroes after death.
By this time, it is likely you already understand the concept behind Alumiar Elísio:
to guide heroes [translators] who dwell [visit] in Alumiar Elísio.
Having this in mind, the logo is worth a thousand words. A pencil with a galea, also known as “Roman helmet”, which is also a symbol of classical culture.
The pencil and the galea can be interpreted in several ways, including:
- The power of written language, communication and the ability to transfer the value of our words into a physical support, regardless of it being digital or not.
- The struggle translators face due to translation being a profession that is often underestimated, forcing them to break the stigma in order to make a living out of it.
- The power that translators hold on their hands (and minds!). Without competent translators, it would be impossible to live in such a connected world.
- The recognition that every translator deserves. Some galeas completely covered the face of the warrior. It is time to forge galeas that properly highlight the warrior’s face, don’t you think?
When it comes to the colors, namely the red and the yellow, these reflect the bravery, the passion, the energy, the confidence and the pride that all translators carry in their hearts. Moreover, the black represents elegance and power.
Lastly, the classical symbols, both in the logo and in the website’s name, represent the culture and knowledge that a translator needs in order to properly perform their functions. After all, translators with a poor sense of culture are like Sisyphus: it doesn’t matter how much they translate, they will never achieve a worthy translation.
At Alumiar Elísio we use simple, informal and easy to understand language. We chose to write it this way because we believe that it makes the “digestion” of the content lighter and more appealing. Furthermore, as a lot of people don’t have English as their native language, it makes the content more accessible.
Last but not least, we love to know the names and the stories of each and every one of you. So, if you plan on reaching out to us for whatever reason, don’t hesitate and tell us about your story too. At the end of the day, we are all debating and talking about a passion we all share, in a relaxed and open environment.
Alumiar Elísio is still a recent project, but our goal is to spread it to other platforms, besides the website itself.
In addition to the blog, we also have our Instagram, where we regularly post valuable content. On there, you can find brief reflexions, useful tips, observations, curiosities, among others. Most of the time, you will find light, short and easy to understand content, but extremely important content! This content will always be accompanied by images and, occasionally, video.
You can also get in touch with us, spark a conversation or simply follow our journey and keep up to date with our content.
Having said that, our main goal is to regularly and consistently update all of our platforms with distinct content. In the future, we intend to broaden our online presence and even bring our community closer.
The future will be the one to dictate our path but, for our curious warriors, among those future projects are the creation of a comment section within the blog, a group where all our readers can discuss and share ideas and a newsletter.
Finally, if you got this far, congratulations! Please, follow us on Instagram to keep yourself updated and help us boost our online presence, so that, in the future, we are able to create other ways of interacting with you, and the other way around.
With by Micael and Mónica.
This page will be updated whenever Alumiar Elísio undergoes relevant changes or updates.
© 2020 Alumiar Elísio. All rights reserved. Created with by Micael and Mónica.